Originally part of this suggestion, I decided to expand on Handles, combine him with a bit of this and more, and really make him into something really innovative and useful, worth standing as it's own suggestion
As seen in: Time of the Doctor
By "Iron Bar" I mean the "fencey things." I do not mean "Iron Ingots."
| Iron Bars | Steel Block | Iron Bars |
| Brass Ingot | Clock Gear Block | Brass Ingot |
| Steel Ingot | Redstone Block | Steel Ingot |
I may make this more expensive, or require something like a Dalek Mod Mob Boss drop (Idk yet though)
In game Crafting Info:
There will be some book with some info on how to get handles. Atm, I'm thinking...
- Meteor falls from the sky with a book with a few basic recipes useful in early game (before you're that far into the mod)
- A Tardis flies overhead, and a chest falls from it
- A Tear in time in space randomly happens and right beside the player (if underground) or in the sky (if there are no blocks above) and spits out a chest entity that becomes a solid block once it lands.
- Found in Dungeon/Nether/Village chests
The player may click on Handles, and this will provide a GUI.
These features are available via GUI
- Tardis Data (like a Tardis Wall Display)
- Crafting Recipies (Anything you could ever want to craft, Handles will be able to tell you, but this may require upgrades (see further below))
- Pick up (I recommend not mining Handles. Use Pick Up instead as Handles will be able to keep all his data when moved this way)
- A link to the SWD Youtube
- Companion Data (Handles will be able to make items you can give to your companions so that you will always be able to find them if they get lost (Their data will be given, similar to the data of a Tardis display (Although, this will include their health so the player will know his/her companions are in danger)). This seems impractical, but it's definitely more fun than just pressing F3.
There is, of course, also the ability to throw these trackers (a variant) at other players (it goes silently (maybe with a really quiet sound) into their inventories and disguises itself as a common block (Though, it never stacks with anything). The player would have to mouse over the item to know it's a tracker))) (This idea I'm still thinking about though and may make into it's own suggestion at some point)
- QuickTable, in other words, Handles can act as a wooden crafting table. This requires Upgrades however.
- QuickFix, Handles can also act as an anvil, but less efficient and with drawbacks. If you don't have an anvil, he's good, but if you have an anvil, it's strongly advised to use the anvil instead (Details on this part coming soon)
- Remind me Handles! (Suggested by BellatorHD >>)
- When chosen, a GUI will be opened. From here, the player may set a time (Minecraft Days, In-game Ticks, or number of interactions from now)
- Handles will likely only hold a few messages at once. I'm thinking one at a time, but if more can be added without having any negative impacts (ie: Lag, Data, etc) then I don't see why he shouldn't be able to have more than one.
- The player will also be able to set a few variations.
- Pre-Time reminders (ie: 5 minute warnings)
- In the moment of the time, he will say whatever the player said once, and say it no more
- If the player missed the time, the player can set the reminder to be said again the next time he/she or a companion is near Handles (In this case, the player may also set who Handles will respond to)
- If you missed the time, he will repeatedly remind you (at reasonable intervals. Not a constant nagging kind of thing) afterwards until the player tells Handles to stop
It can be custom perhaps and the player can set a time for handles to say something. The time can be set in game ticks, Minecraft Days, or number of interactions from now (which could probably borrow from that one Tardis Panel Command.
It could also perhaps be in effect while the player is carrying Handles in his or her inventory
- Mob Information Center
- When you scan mobs with your Sonic Screwdriver, it will save data about the mob to your screwdriver (warning, it can only hold so many at a time)
- When you bring your Sonic Screwdriver to Handles, he will record this data and add it to his database for the player to read whenever he or she needs more information
- Maybe this database will reach "cap limits" at points and require space to expand, sometimes these upgrades will cause "partial data" to appear in the Database. This happens for bosses usually and gives the player a hint on how to encounter the boss
- Handles will sometimes offer goods to the player, in exchange for emeralds or whatnot.
- What is this, Handles?
- This Feature allows the player to drop an item into a slot. Handles will see the item and tell the player about it's purpose, how it's used, and about what it is. Maybe he might even ask the player if he/she would like to hear brief lore on the object.
- Brief information on structures
- Info on Planets
- Info on what each Tardis part does
- Tardis Commands
- Panel Commands
- Non-panel Commands
- What each Command does
- What are the Parameters of each command
- What variations can be made to the command (instead of only giving the base command, this would mention all the "extra detail" you can include when typing the command)
- Server Info
- Rules (or a link to the forum page with the most up to date rules)
- Server ip
- Spawn Coordinates
- Overview of information on each server (or a link to the pages for each)
- Perhaps an "If you like the Dalek Mod, also see these other mods by SWD" section
- Advanced Chest Checking
- When opening this menu, you'll see the inside of the nearest chest as the normal GUI, like normal. BUT, there will now be arrows to the left and right to change chests without closing the GUI. There will be a fraction as well to allow the player to know what chest he or she is in. One good thing is that it will speed up checking chests and allow dragging items from one chest to another.
- There will be a smart sort option that makes handles rearrange your chests' contents to make them a bit more orderly.
- Item Search (You can Type in a name of an item, and the Gui will go to that chest
- This feature WILL only work in a specific range and in your Tardis. I need to think of a way to be able to use it in other dimensions without really allowing for griefing.
- Chest Synch
- While you're on your adventure with handles, you may find you have a bit too much stuff. You can synch Handles with a Chest and with this feature, items you give him will go to this chest until it's full.
- Obviously, Only the Chest itself will load while using this feature if it is in a different chunk from the player. Can't have people exploiting this feature with hoppers.
- The Player will be able to Upgrade Handles. I haven't decided what this may require, but the upgrading items may differ depending on what you're upgrading and what level.
- Items I've thought of
- Experience Points
- Nether Star (used Once or twice maybe during your whole time having a Handles)
- Beacon (Like the Above)
- Reset (Can Only be done by Owner) resets everything. Synch to the player, upgrades, database, everything
- I'm still thinking of "Smart Features" for Handles
Putting Handles On a Console (Suggested by Whovian4Ever98Alef)
- With Handles in hand, the player may right click the Console and Handles will appear on it.
- Handles will work like usual while on a console and can be picked back up with the "Pick Up" option
Changes to the way summoning the Tardis Works (Suggested by BellatorHD)
- The "Tardis Summoning" Command can require having Handles (Suggested By BellatorHD)
- I find that this really works well with some of the other suggestions mentioned before. For example
- If you're going into Unknown territory, and some big baddie jumps out at you, you won't be able to summon your Tardis for an easy and quick get-away
- It is important for the player to take some risks from time to time, as it will allow the player to get more information on things
- Even though the player can't summon the Tardis, he or she will always be able to figure out where it is by using Handles
- Video (The scene happens around the 2:45 mark)
- When summoning handles, audio will play with him saying "Engines Activated" (Suggested by BattleBen12- link)
- When Interacting with Handles, there's a low chance he may tell Player to "Patch the Telephone Device through the Console Unit" (As Suggested by BellatorHD)
- Also, if Battleben12's phone idea gets added (I really recommend checking it out) it could also be played in that way with a very low chance.
Any Other Information: It's one Handles to one Player (and maybe his companions) and one player (maybe his companions included) to one Handles in terms of "ownership of a Handles".
If anyone has any questions, critique, feedback, suggestions, etc. feel free to comment below