(Serves 8-10 people or one greedy UA)
This cake is always popular and very very tasty. A must for any chocoholic!
For this cake the ingredients you will need are:
-50g (2oz) sifted cocoa powder
-6 Tablespoons boiling water
- 3 Large Eggs
- 50ml (2fl Oz) Milk
- 175g (6Oz) self-raising flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 100g (4Oz) softened butter
- 275g (10oz) Caster Sugar
For the Icing:
- 150g (5oz) plain or dark chocolate (depending on what you like)
- 150ml (1/4 pint) double cream
You will also need 2 20cm (8inch) round cake tins, a large bowl, a whisk or electric whisk and parchment paper or baking paper.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4 (350°F/Fan 320°F). Grease the cake tins with butter then line the base of each tin with baking parchment.
2. Blend the cocoa and boiling water in a large bowl then add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until the mixture has become a smooth, thickish batter. Divide the cake mix equally between the prepared tins and level the surface.
3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
4. To make the icing melt the chocolate in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not let the water touch the bowl or the chocolate will burn and turn bitter) pour in the double cream and stir until well combined. As the icing sets it will thicken up.
5. Once the cakes have FULLY cooled, spread half of the icing onto one of the cakes and place the other on top. Spread the remaining icing on the top and on the sides. OPTIONAL: if you have any remaining chocolate you can grate it over the cake for decoration!
Let the cake cool more in the fridge and serve!
Let me know in the thread below, what other recipes you would like!